Teletubbies turn 20 this month! Here are 20 Fun Facts.
Twenty Fun Facts About
Celebrating 20 Years of Big Hugs
1. Teletubbies was launched in March 1997 and became a global phenomenon
2. The original episodes have aired in more 120 territories across 45 languages.
3. It was the first TV character brand specifically devised to aid learning and
development for children as young as 6 months.
4. Four Teletubbies named Tinky-Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa and Po live in the bucolic
5. They are renowned for their Tubby Toast, Tubby Custard, and their recognizable
phrases like “Eh-oh!” which means “Hello!”
6. Over 50 million Teletubbies plush toys have been sold worldwide, with over 33 million
videos and DVDs sold to date -- 5.1 million in the U.K. and over 10 million in the USA.
7. Former New York City mayor Mike Bloomberg declared March 28, 2007 “Teletubbies
Day” and awarded the Teletubbies a key to the city.
8. In 2015 the multi-award winning brand was named as one of the Best Children’s TV
Programs of the last 50 years, by a panel of 100 international kids’ television experts.
9. One of the most highly recognized children’s brands in the world, it resonates with
young children. The core brand benefits are still as relevant today as they were in
10. The NEW Teletubbies premiered in the U.S. on Nick Jr. on May 30, 2016.
11. Many people report Teletubbies as one of the first character brands their children
12. Teletubbies’ continues to garner up to 100 million YouTube views per month!
13. Original Teletubbies fans are now in their twenties.
14. Teletubbies themselves never age.
15. The original Teletubbies has been reimagined and brought into the 21st century with
pioneering production techniques and updated storylines designed to appeal to a new
generation of tech-savvy toddlers.
16. The new Teletubbies’ more contemporary viewing experience captures young
children’s imaginations in a fun, happy, safe, modern-day world.
17. The Teletubbies’ updates include Touch-Screen Tummies and other all-new
elements like the Tubby Phone smartphone and Tubby Custard Ride.
18. The new Teletubbies also have a brand-new line of cuddly, soft, plush toys and DVDs
– now available at all major retailers! Interactive, digital apps are available on the App
Store and Google Play.
19. On March 28, 2017 the Teletubbies will celebrate their 20 th anniversary with a
“Teletubbies 20” Gala in New York City
20. The Teletubbies are famous for their Big Hugs! Have you had a hug today?
Teletubbies | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube