Citizen Public Market Celebrates Summer with Culinary Pop-Up's and Live Entertainment!
Culver City’s chef-driven food hall, Citizen Public Market is bringing fresh culinary concepts, all-new pop-ups, and a vibrant lineup of live entertainment to Los Angeles locals and visitors this summer. The market first made its debut in November 2020 and continues to grow steadily. The now fully-leased space recently welcomed all-star chef Keith Corbin (partner and executive chef of Los Angeles’ multi-award-winning restaurant Alta Adams) to its roster, has reopened all temporarily closed or reduced hour concepts, and is rolling out a calendar of live entertainment and community events taking place now through September 2021.
Designed to be a central hub for the surrounding Culver City neighborhood, as well as a destination for all Angelenos and Southern California visitors, the market’s historic location which recently won the LIV Award for best historic/heritage design and best food hall, once housed the city’s local newspaper, Citizen Publishing Company, back in 1929 making it part of the National Register of Historic Places. Citizen Public Market carries on that legacy of public good with its diverse selection of chef-driven restaurant booths, serving cuisines ranging from local Californian fare to Mexican, Asian, and Italian-inspired dishes. The space retains many of the original design and structural elements of its previous incarnation, with educational plaques and signage throughout detailing its rich history—serving as both a community gathering place for today and tribute to the region’s past.
What’s New: Summer 2021 at Citizen Public Market:
· Comedy Night – comedian Tavaris Smith and his crew take the stage at 7 p.m. (located on the patio of Citizen Public Market) on July 21. This one-night only show is free to guests. Follow the Citizen Public Market onInstagram for details on future shows.
· Summer Brunch Parties at Bar Bohémien – Featuring eclectic boho/chic décor and sweeping views of the city, Bar Bohémien launches the Summer Brunch Party series on July 18 through the summer, presented by Tito’s Handmade Vodka with a curated cocktail list featuring Herradura, Botanist, Cointreau & Jack Daniels. Held every Sunday from 2 – 6 p.m., guests of the Market can enjoy live DJ sets, craft cocktails, and food from their favorite vendors on the rooftop.
· Celebrated Chef Keith Corbin (partner and executive chef of Los Angeles’ multi-award-winning restaurant Alta Adams) opens his first solo concept at Citizen Public Market Louella’s Cali Soul Kitchen – Corbin and his team are serving up Southern soul food with a California twist, including BBQ Brisket with apple BBQ sauce and pickles, Louella’s Famous Fried Chicken Sandwich with hot sauce mayo and pickles, and for vegetarians, a Fried Smoked Tofu Sandwich with spicy tartar sauce, slaw and pickles. Louella’s Cali Soul Kitchen is open Wednesday to Sunday from 11:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
· Nancy’s Fancy by James Beard Award-Winning Chef Nancy Silverton serves up an assortment of gelatos and sorbets with artisan flavors including Spiced Stumptown Coffee, Whiskey Cake and Cream, Amarena Cherry and more. This pop-up is open every Friday from 4 – 6 p.m., Saturday from 12 – 9 p.m. and Sunday from 12 – 8 p.m and can be found on thePizzette menu.
· Summer Pop-Up's: Citizen Public Market recently debuted a rotating line-up of pop-up’s. Information regarding the pop-up’s is released regularly on the Market’s Instagram @citizenpublicmarket. Past vendors who continue to make appearances include beloved LA favorite Zooies Cookies, cult-favoriteBANG BANG noodles, Go-Go Gyoza and Go-Go Bird by Hinoki and the Bird’s Executive Chef, Brandon Kida, and Sofaisy Designs a local florist serving up fresh summer blooms and arrangement.
· Dog Days of Summer – This August, the always-pet-friendly Market is dialing up the four-legged festivities with a special event designed for dog owners every Saturday afternoon. More details to be announced on the Market’s Instagram @citizenpublicmarket.
Offering an impressive lineup of culinary concepts year-round, Citizen Public Market is also home to:
· Pizzette - Here, beloved local chef and multi-award-winning restaurateur Nancy Silverton features her signature creation the “Pizzette”—a mashup of her legendary pizzas and a stuffed sandwich inspired by the popular Israeli dish Sabich; guests will find pizzettes made with goat cheese, leeks, scallions, garlic and bacon or Meyer lemon, tomato, Fresno chilies, fried capers, and fried parsley, among others.
· goodboybob - Named after owner Erich Joiner’s shaggy pup, goodboybob aims to find, roast, and prepare coffee with the highest standards in the world; guests can enjoy a cup of signature house coffee, fresh-baked pastries, lunch items, and a stellar lineup of beer and wine; the team’s “people first” mentality encourages customers to ask about their daily brew, the nuances of how to pour a great espresso, and more.
· Jolly Oyster – This sustainably minded oyster bar is on a mission to help alleviate the world's overfishing crisis by producing top quality, sustainably produced seafood; a small family business dedicated to farming top quality oysters and clams, Jolly Oyster controls the complete production cycle from hatchery to your table.
· Bar Bohémien – Located on the Market rooftop and offering sweeping city views, this bar features tapas inspired by Spain, charcuterie boards inspired by Paris, and craft-cocktails inspired by famed cities from around the world. Signature cocktails include the Summer of Love, a mix of Havana Club Rum, Lime, Orgeat, and Cointreau and craft beers and wine (with a focus on local and regional California selections).
· The WEHO Sausage Co. - incorporating custom blends of chicken, pork, lamb and beef with different spices, herbs and aromatics – they're able to create a burger menu that is truly differentiated. They also feature hand cut fries, charcuterie, and a selection of over 100 craft, domestic and imported beers.
· Mexicology - Brought to you by Fernando Villagomez, the genius behind four LA hot spots (La Tostaderia, Villa Moreliana, Boca de Agua, and La Fruteria), Mexicology combines a gourmet philosophy with a street food attitude to give you an authentic Mexican experience.
ABOUT CITIZEN PUBLIC MARKET
Located within a reimagined historical landmark (this iconic space previously housed Culver City's Citizen Publishing Company in 1928), Citizen Public Market continues its predecessor's legacy as a central fixture of the neighborhood and greater Los Angeles. The 7,500-square-foot market curates best-in-category food and beverage offerings and invites visitors to embark on a culinary journey where they can experience chef-driven cuisines from around the globe, as well as local Californian favorites. With its intimate footprint, central location, buzzy rooftop, and commitment to culinary entrepreneurship, Citizen is a lively sunrise-to-sundown destination for dining, drinking, and socializing. The market is located at 9355 Culver Blvd, Culver City, CA 90232. Follow Citizen Public Market on Instagram and Facebook.